Deciding whether or not to breastfeed is one of the most important decisions new parents can make. Breastfed babies receive optimal nutrition and moms enjoy short- and long-term health benefits.
The Birthplace’s breastfeeding support services team helps breastfeeding moms before and after baby is born. This team includes internationally board-certified lactation consultants and specially trained Birthplace staff whose goal is to make breastfeeding an enjoyable experience for mom, baby and family.
Our support services include:
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- Visits during the hospital stay
- Outpatient visits by appointment
- Telephone consultations
- Weekly breastfeeding mothers support group
- Electronic pump rental and supplies
- Certified bra fitting (available by appointment)
Breastfeeding Education Covers:
Learn more about breastfeeding from internationally board-certified lactation consultants during our breastfeeding class. This class covers topics such as:
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Starting early skin-to-skin contact/baby-led feeding
- Positioning and latching
- Maintaining a good milk supply
- Hand expressing and use of a breast pump
- Special mom concerns (adoption, breast augmentation/reduction, engorgement, PCOS/infertility/hypothyroidism, working moms and more)
- Special baby concerns (multiples, down syndrome, prematurity, cleft lip or palate)
Breastfeeding Support Group
New mothers benefit from a network of friends and discussion topics presented at our breastfeeding mothers support group. Moms can take advantage of infant weight checks, occasional guest speakers, complimentary snacks and more during this time.
When: Fridays, 1:30 - 3 p.m.
Where: Lutheran Children's Hospital Conference Room
Take Lutheran Hospital’s main elevator to the third floor. The conference room is to the left of the LCH bright yellow greeter’s desk.
Parking: Complimentary valet parking available at Lutheran Hospital’s main entrance.
This group is facilitated by an internationally board-certified lactation consultant. There is no charge to attend and no need to RSVP. Babies and siblings are welcomed.