Nutrition Therapy: Investing in Your Health
The department of Nutrition Services at Lutheran Hospital of Indiana is staffed by registered dietitians. A registered dietitian can assist you in making proper food choices, answering questions and making suggestions regarding ways to prepare meals that are healthy and delicious.
Dietitians are food and nutrition experts who can separate facts from "fads" and translate the latest scientific breakthroughs into practical food choices.
Meeting Your Nutritional Needs
Do you have a medical condition that requires following a special diet? Are you confused about food labeling? Have you heard or read something about diet or nutrition in the media and you're wondering if it applies to you?
Your dietitian can provide you with the tools you need for healthier eating. Nutrition therapy for both adults and children is available for, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Food Allergies
- Cancer and immune compromised
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Home tube feeding
- Renal disease
- Weight control
- Weight loss
- Failure to Thrive
Benefits of Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Prevents certain diseases or long-term complication
- Assists in the treatment of medical conditions
- May reduce the need for some medications
- Improves cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Helps maintain weight or lose excess weight
- Increases energy level
- Improves overall well-being
Dietitians and Your Health
By improving your eating habits, you are taking steps to improve your overall health. During your appointment with the dietitian you will receive individual counseling and specific guidance with special diets. Your registered dietitian will:
- Take your diet history and help you set goals that fit your lifestyle.
- Analyze your usual food intake and suggest changes to improve your eating habits.
- Provide a personalized diet instruction plan based on mutually determined goals.
- Inform your primary physician regarding your nutritional care plan.
Please fax physician referrals to (260) 435-6639. Insurance reimbursement may be available.