Lutheran Hospital, 1904-1980
Official dedication and opening of Lutheran Hospital on November 24, Thanksgiving Day.
Internship program for medical education students begins.
The fourth floor west wing, which houses the pediatrics unit, is remodeled.
The first renal dialysis unit in Indiana is established.
The community's first coronary care unit opens.
Physicians at Lutheran Hospital perform the community's first coronary bypass surgery.
Physicians at Lutheran Hospital conduct the first coronary angiogram in the area.
Physicians at Lutheran Hospital perform the first total cemented-hip replacement in northeastern Indiana.
The area's first scoliosis clinic opens.
Physicians at Lutheran Hospital begin performing total knee-replacement surgeries.
The first Enterostomal Therapy Department in northeastern Indiana is created.
First MoICU is used at Lutheran Hospital. It was custom-built on the chassis of a 23-foot motor home and especially designed for inter-hospital transport of critically ill patients of all ages with minimum risk placed in service.
Northeastern Indiana's first pacemaker clinic,which serves children and adults in a 19-county region, opens.
The community's first mitral valve replacement surgery is conducted.
Physicians at Lutheran Hospital perform the first complete heart catheterization in northeastern Indiana.
A pediatrics presurgery program is initiated.
The Muscular Dystrophy Association Clinic is established as part of a nationwide network of hospital-affiliated MDA clinics.
A 24-hour, on-site Child Care Center opens.
The first dedicated inpatient cath lab and the first regional heart clinic are established.