Living donors are crucial to the survival of kidney transplant patients. More than half of Lutheran’s transplanted patients received a kidney from a living donor.
- Anyone 18 to 65 and healthy can become a living donor
- There is no cost to the donor for evaluation or donation
- Kidney donation can be made to a family member, friend or stranger
- Receive a pretransplant health evaluation to ensure the safety of the donor and the recipient
- Are typically in the hospital only 1-2 days; total recovery time is 2-6 weeks
- Typically return to work 2-4 weeks after surgery
A willing donor can be confidentially matched with any individual in need of a kidney, even if the donor doesn’t know anyone who needs a transplant. The donor and recipient remain anonymous, unless both agree to meet.
Interested in additional information or becoming a living donor?