Cancer Navigator Program
If you've been diagnosed with cancer and need answers and a plan, our cancer navigators can help.
What is a Cancer Navigator?
- A Cancer Navigator is an oncology-certified nurse who works with patients, families and physicians to help the cancer patient "navigate" the healthcare system.
- The cancer navigator does not replace your physicians.
- Your cancer navigator assists in arranging and maintaining communication between patients and their families, as well as physicians and other healthcare professionals. This is a free service offered by the Lutheran Cancer Resource Center.
Your personal cancer navigator can help you and your family with the following:
- Help you understand your diagnosis.
- Explain treatment options to you so you know what to expect.
- Assist in coordinating your appointments with physicians, if needed.
- Provide emotional support.
- Connect you with resources for trans- portation, medication and spiritual needs.
- Connect you with services such as nutritional counseling, physical therapy, clinical trials, genetic testing, financial assistance, home healthcare and support groups.
- Assist with communication between you, your family and physicians.
- Help remove any roadblocks that may hinder your care.
- Help you navigate the healthcare system.