Eye-Opening Meal Ideas
- Add fresh strawberries, banana or blueberries to whole grain cereals.
- Add low-fat or skim milk and dried fruits to oatmeal.
- Replace half the flour with whole-wheat flour when making pancakes or waffles.
- Order coffee or cappuccino with low-fat or skim milk.
- Whip up an omelet with leftover vegetables.
- Make a fruit salad with whatever you have in the refrigerator.
- Add peanut butter to English muffins and bagels instead of butter.
- Prepare soups with milk for added calcium, vitamin D and protein.
- Add chopped or frozen veggies to your soups.
- Make sandwiches with fiber-rich bread and add lean meats and avocados.
- Add a vegetable topping to your sandwich for an added boost of nutrients.
- Add a slice of cheese to your sandwiches for calcium and protein.
- Try peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread.
- Add fresh fruits to your lunch for dessert.
- Eat a salad with grilled chicken or fish, lots of vegetables, and fat-free dressing.
- Make your own low-fat salad dressings.
- Use 90 percent lean ground beef in tacos, chili and spaghetti sauce.
- Add vegetables to your lasagna.
- Make a salad with spinach and romaine lettuce and add tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and hard-boiled eggs.
- Try whole-wheat macaroni and cheese.
- Add shredded carrots or zucchini to meatloaf, casseroles, breads and muffins.
- Top your baked potato with low-fat yogurt.
- Smother angel food cake with berries.
- Roast or grill your meats with potatoes, bell peppers, onions and mushrooms.
- Stuff peppers or tomatoes with couscous, brown rice or bulgur.
Quick, healthy on-the-go snacks include:
- Whole grain cereal with low fat yogurt
- Lean meats rolled in whole wheat tortilla with tomatoes
- Baked tortilla chips with a black bean dip
- Trail mix
- Low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese with sliced strawberries or cantaloupe
- Whole-grain pita triangles with hummus or sun-dried tomato spread
- A 100 percent fruit juice bar
- Baked french fries served with salsa
- Low-fat yogurt drinks
- Whole-grain crackers
- Mozzarella cheese sticks
- Cereal bars
- Baked chips or low-fat popcorn
- Fresh fruit
- Low-fat or fat-free milk
- 100 percent fruit or vegetable juice
- Instant oatmeal packets with dried fruits
- Instant vegetable or bean soups
- Peanut butter
- Light microwave popcorn
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Canned fruits in water or 100 percent fruit juice
Smart Fast-Food Choices
- Grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes (hold the mayo)
- Roasted veggie wrap
- Salad entrees with grilled veggies and low-fat dressing
- Thin-crust pizza with veggie toppings
- Baked potato topped with broccoli and shredded cheese
- Sliced apples or mandarin oranges
- Low-fat or fat-free milk, 100 percent fruit juice or water
- Minestrone soups
- Lean entrees such as beef sirloin, pork tenderloin or skinless chicken
- A stir fry loaded with broccoli, carrots, cabbage and peppers
- Tomato-based whole-wheat pasta dishes
- Fruit sorbet for dessert
Healthy-Eating and Living Tips
- Share or take home half of your meal.
- Eat one less slice of pizza than usual.
- Enjoy a single scoop of ice cream instead of a double.
- Cut smaller slices cake and pie.
- Use low-fat or fat-free salad dressings.
- Use light cream cheese, sour cream and yogurt.
- Swap sweetened soft drinks for calorie-free versions.
- Use sugar substitute for cereals, coffee and baked goods.
- Walk or bike wherever you can.
- Volunteer for household jobs such as vacuuming, raking leaves, gardening and walking the dog.
- Take a spinning or aerobics class.
- Join a dance class or sport's team.
Schedule family "activity time".