Heart Transplant Services
The Lutheran Transplant Center team has been delivering heart transplant services for more than 30 years, providing clinical expertise and patient support every step of the way -- from pretransplant monitoring to post-surgical care. Our multidisciplinary team includes:
- Transplant cardiologists
- Cardiovascular surgeons
- Specially trained anesthesiologists
- Medical transplant specialists
- Transplant coordinators
- Social workers
- Cardiopulmonary rehab specialists
The center’s surgical team has performed hundreds of heart transplants, providing many patients with 15 to 20 additional years of life.
First Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology Certification in the Region
Mark Jones, MD, FACC, co-medical director of Lutheran Hospital's heart transplant program, was the first physician in northern Indiana and the fourth in the state to earn certification in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology through the American Board of Internal Medicine. Kristen Maurice, DO, board certified cardiologist and a member of the advanced heart failure team, is board eligible in this highly specialized area of care.
Drs. Jones and Maurice evaluate and manage patients with a range of complex conditions, including:
- Advanced heart failure
- Implanted devices, including ventricular assist devices (VAD)
- Patients awaiting heart transplantation
- Heart transplant patients
Benefits of Lutheran Transplant Center
The Lutheran Transplant Center provides:
- Medical expertise closer to home, including services in Fort Wayne and a clinic in Valparaiso
- Shorter wait times to heart transplant than the national average
- Easy access to the additional specialty care within Lutheran Health Network
For additional information about heart transplant services, contact the Lutheran Transplant Center at (260) 435-6275 or (800) 385-3550.